The Ultimate Tournament
Gnomes of the world
Gnomes are little folk who lead lives of never-ending toil in great underground foundry-cities. The typical Gnome realm is every bit as powerful and wealthy as a great city of the Dwarves. Gnome cities exist only for the manufacture of wealth through unending labor. Gnomes are the preeminent Lackeys and Police force of the Veritus Empire, Dwarves are infamous for bringing gnomes with them to do their dirty work. Gnomes are sullen, insular, and tireless workers. They may be small, but they’re known almost as well as goblins to gang up on people, relying on pure numbers and advance equipment to defeat their foes. Decedents of dwarves, gnomes were brought to the world right when pixies went extinct. Dwarves mated will the last of the pixies, and the result was creation of the gnomes. The gnomes have never completely abandoned their fey roots or adapted to mortal culture. As a result, gnomes are widely regarded by the other races (even the dwarves) as alien and strange.
Gnomes are one of the smallest of the common races, generally standing just over 3 feet in height. Their hair tends toward vibrant colors such as the fiery orange of autumn leaves, the verdant green of forests at springtime, or the deep reds and purples of wildflowers in bloom. Similarly, their flesh tones range from earthy browns to floral pinks, frequently with little regard for heredity. Gnomes possess highly mutable facial characteristics, and many have overly large mouths and eyes, an effect that can be both disturbing and stunning, depending on the individual.
- +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, –2 Strength: Gnomes are physically weak but surprisingly hardy, and their attitude makes them naturally agreeable.
- Small: Gnomes are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus (CMB) and Combat Maneuver Defense (CMD), and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Slow Speed: Gnomes have a base speed of 20 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: Gnomes can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light (see low-light vision.)
- Master Tinker: Gnomes experiment with all manner of mechanical devices. Gnomes gain a +1 bonus on Disable Device and Knowledge (engineering) checks. They are treated as proficient with any weapon they have personally crafted.
- Pyromaniac: Gnomes are treated as one level higher when casting spells with the fire descriptor, using granted powers of the Fire domain, using the bloodline powers of the fire elemental bloodline or the revelations of the oracle’s flame mystery, and when determining the damage of alchemist bombs that deal fire damage (this ability does not give gnomes early access to level-based powers, only affecting the powers they could use without this ability). Gnomes with Charisma of 11 or higher also gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, flare, prestidigitation, produce flame. The caster level for these effects is equal to the gnome’s level; the DCs are Charisma-based.
- Keen Senses: Gnomes receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception skill checks.
- Obsessive: Gnomes receive a +2 racial bonus on a Craft or Profession skill of their choice.
- Weapon Familiarity: Gnomes treat any weapon with the word “gnome” in its name as a martial weapon.