The Ultimate Tournament
Dwarves of the world
Dwarves are a stoic but stern race, ensconced in cities carved from the hearts of mountains and fiercely determined to repel the depredations of savage races like kobolds and goblins. More than any other race, the dwarves have acquired a reputation as dour and humorless craftsmen of the earth. It could be said that dwarven history shapes the dark disposition of many dwarves, for they reside in high mountains and dangerous realms below the earth, constantly at war with kobolds, goblins, and other such horrors. Dwarves are the most powerful race in the world as of now, or so they say. They Created the Veritus Empire, which controls mostly all the major cities, and trade lines. They use their smaller brothers’ gnomes to police and get things done for the Dwarf population isn’t that big. They are currently waging war with the Insania horde for Ratis Mountain, which they stole from the kobold to prospect and mine.
Dwarves are a short and stocky race, and stand about a foot shorter than most humans, with wide, compact bodies that account for their burly appearance. Male and female dwarves pride themselves on the length of their hair, and men often decorate their beards with a variety of clasps and intricate braids. A clean-shaven male dwarf is a sure sign of madness, or worse—no one familiar with their race trusts a beardless dwarf.
- +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, –2 Charisma: Dwarves are both tough and wise, but also a bit gruff.
- Medium: Dwarves are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Slow and Steady: Dwarves have a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.
- Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. (see darkvision).
- Defensive Training: Dwarves get a +4 dodge bonus to AC against monsters of the giant subtype.
- Craftsman: Dwarves are known for their superior craftsmanship when it comes to metal and stone works. Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus on all Craft or Profession checks that create objects from metal or stone.
- Hatred: Dwarves receive a +1 bonus on attack rolls against humanoid creatures of the orc and goblinoid subtypes due to special training against these hated foes.
- Magic Resistant: Dwarven clans are particularly resistant to magic. Dwarves gain spell resistance equal to 5 + their character level. This resistance can be lowered for 1 round as a standard action. Dwarves take a –2 penalty on all concentration checks made in relation to arcane spells.
- Stability: Dwarves receive a +4 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
- Stonecunning: Dwarves receive a +2 bonus on Perception checks to potentially notice unusual stonework, such as traps and hidden doors located in stone walls or floors. They receive a check to notice such features whenever they pass within 10 feet of them, whether or not they are actively looking.
- Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word “dwarven” in its name as a martial weapon.