The Ultimate Tournament
Elans of the world
Elans are not born; they are made. Living humans are selected from a pool of applicants and screened by a special elan council. Elan Scouts are then sent to kidnap them and they are brought to undergo a secret psionic process in one of several hidden elan enclaves, where they abandon their humanity for a new, psionically energized existence. Thus, Elans do not reproduce biologically, but rather psionically, through a mysterious psionic ritual known only to Elans. Even then, their “children” are usually already fully formed adult humans. Nonhuman Elans are never created, and it could be that the ritual simply doesn’t work for any creatures but those who were originally human. Elans are a secret lot, and do not publicly reveal their enclaves or places of making; the Elans select new aspirants and turn away those they feel are unsuited for life as an elan. Newly created Elans retain the basic memories and personalities of their previous human lives, but lose all their previous class levels, skills, and other characteristics; a newly created elan is a 1st-level character, free to reinvent himself as a member of his new race. Elans are a secret race that only Elans and the elves of The Fable know even exist. All Elans are apart of Mentality Incorporated, an Elan only company that keeps the Elan race alive and hidden from the world. Elans are the only creatures let alone race that possess psionic power, and they’re afraid the world would attempt to exploit their powers if they were ever known
Elans are nearly as adaptable, flexible, and ambitious as the humans from which they are made. Because their exceedingly long life spans sometimes lead the living to think the worst of them, Elans practice a certain restraint, especially with regard to the subject of their origin. Otherwise,
their personalities vary widely.
Aberration: Elans are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, Elans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Elan base land speed is 30 feet.
• Elans (unlike most aberrations) do not have darkvision.
• Naturally Psionic: Elans gain a power point reserve equal to their HDx2. Elans gain bonus power points based on their HD and a high intelligence score
• Resistance (Su): Elans can use psionic energy to increase their resistance to various forms of attack. As an immediate action, an elan can spend 1 power point to gain a +4 racial bonus on saving throws until the beginning of her next action.
• Resilience (Su): When an elan takes damage, she can spend power points to reduce its severity. As an immediate action, she can reduce the damage she is about to take by 2 hit points for every 1 power point she spends.
• Repletion (Su): An elan can sustain her body without need of food or water. If she spends 1 power point, an elan does not need to eat or drink for 24 hours.
• Reflection (Su): An elan can create miniature barriers in brief seconds and use them to protect themselves from an oncoming attack. By using an attack of opportunity an elan can give itself a reflection bonus to Ac per power point spent against one source till the beginning of its next action. This source can be a creature or an object, but it can’t use a barrier against something that is more then one person (such as swarm). An elan can also use its Reflection power to create itself a sheild of force to protect itself. As an move action, an Elan can create itself a shield of force that gives it +1 per power point spent Sheild bonus to Ac until the beginning of its next turn.
Psionic Focus in define
Merely holding a reservoir of Psionic power points gives Psionic Creatures a special energy, and they all connect to each other. Psionic creatures with powerful mental ability can put that energy to work without actually paying a power point cost— By focusing their mind they can become Psionically focused. To become Psionically focused a Psionic creature must make a level check DC20. Psionic Creatures gain a bonus to this check equal to their intelligence modifier. Only Psionic Creatures with an intelligence score of 10 can even attempt to become Psionically Focused. To become Psionically Focused takes a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. If a Psionic creature fails the check it must wait 1d4-int mod rounds before it can attempt to become Psionically Focused again, but with every failed attempt they receive a -2 penalty to the check (Penalties are lost after 8 hours of uninterrupted meditation or sleep).
Psionic Creatures with an intelligence score of 16 or higher can attempt to become Psionically Focused with out provoking attacks of opportunity by making a level check DC 25 (they take penalties for failed attempts for this check also). If a Psionic creature fails the check 3 times consecutively or by 5 or more they become dazed for 1d4 rounds. If a Psionic creature fails the check by 10 or more they become Confused for 1d6 rounds. once Psionically Focused an Psionic creature can spend it anytime to automatically take 10 on any check, even in circumstances where taking 10 wouldn’t be aloud. Psionic creature can also expend your focus to gain the benefit of a psionic feat— many psionic feats are activated in this way. Once you are psionically focused, Psionic creatures remain focused until you expend your focus, become unconscious, or go to sleep (or enter a meditative trance, in the case of elans), or until they use all their power points.